Saturday, July 29, 2006

She ain't trippin on you...

...she'd rather fuck your car.

So goes the hook on a rhyme from one of my old school favorites, Too Short. Dude ain't lyrically brilliant, but he kept it real. And as I found out the other day, he may never have kept it realer (yea, I got a degree in English and I said "realer") than on the aforementioned song.

Short puts it down in this one right here, explaining in his Oakland, Ca., vernacular his understanding of the fact that with some women, no matter how genuinely attracted to you they might appear to be, said attraction ain't always what it seems. Yeah, she's feelin you, givin vibes, flirting, lettin you know you can get the math if not more, if only you'll speak up (manlaw note: closed mouths don't get fed). But with our egos, we men rarely stop to consider that it may not be us, in whole or in part, that she's attracted to. She might have caught you on a good day, rockin that suit that hangs off your shoulders just right, fresh from the chop shop with a new shapeup, or caught your glance from the window of that rented 300C you borrowed from your cousin and just came from getting detailed.

You got that look, that flirt, that number. Kudos. But she ain't trippin on you, she'd rather fuck your car.

Fast forward: I'm chillin with a homegirl of mine, talking about the Manlaw blog, which prompts her to break tradition and let me in on a lil rule of womanlaw, at least as she sees it. She dishes that an unwritten rule of hers is that she never, ever talks to a dude whose eye she catches if the dude is getting into our out of, say, the new AMG-kitted S-Class. Sounds counterintuitive -- women like dudes with nice whips -- until you consider her next sentiment, which was that from that moment on, she never knows whether or not it was the guy or the fact that the guy had the car that turned her on in that instant. That she wouldn't want to find herself sitting across from the dinner table with a dude wondering whether if she'd be there had the cat hopped off the Orange line instead of into sum'n that cost more than a downpayment on a nice crib.

She wouldn't want to wind up in the act with this dude and have to wonder: am i screwing him or his car? Get it?

Long story short, fellas: I ain't sayin' look a gift horse in the mouth. If you ridin' nice and that increases your shooting percentage from the floor, I'm all in favor. But with all things in life, ego can blind you to the angles you need to be able to see in order to know how to play your position right. Perhipheral vision is a proverbial muhfucca.

Manlaw: "No need to be a player or a superstar... She ain't trippin on you she'd rather fuck your car."

-PGS

14 comments:

Gregory Lee said...

Now this is what manlaw is all about.
I can totally relate and have experienced it.

Southerner in Suomi said...

PoppaPimp, your friend has a good head on her shoulders. I personally almost never give a dude the time of day if he's pushing a tight whip. Cause I think most niggas stunt. Well you got thirty seconds to say something that will negate that. Most fail.

Sherlon Christie said...

@skinny g...no offense but PGS is our No. 1 columnist with entries like this. You've got No. 2 (for the time being)...lol.

@mastercleansers.....DAMN...how did you remember that after so long.

Nika Laqui said...

My WomanLaw, I shit on niggas with fancy cars, thinking I'mma holla at them, cause they sitting pretty...
I don't even look their way...

"How does my shit taste?"

I don't wanna fuck yo car...
I don't care about yo rims...
I hate rims anyway...too flashy...
Must be lacking elsewhere if you need that to pull a chic...

Besides, I'll always wonder who you killed, sold drugs to, or robbed to get that car....

Professional grown men, don't need rims, a nice car is fine for them...

Veronica Marché said...

"...if only you'll speak up (manlaw note: closed mouths don't get fed)"

...real talk.

But like Nsane said, a nice car don't mean much. Usually cats are hiding behind the steering wheel of that S-class because they're inadequate in other ways (and I don't mean physically).

Give me a brotha in a clean Toyota that can discuss Toni Morrison and enjoys Thai food, and I'm good. Your whip don't impress me, mayne.

Keith T. Reed said...

Man, y'all missing the point -- and this disappoints me duck cuz you from home.

This ain't about a dude and his car. The car's a metaphor for anything other than the man himself that adds to a woman's attraction. Botton line is women are more likely to be attracted by things unrelated to the man himself than men are -- and that our male egos sometimes don't allow us to see that. we think it's all about us when in reality it might be 60 percent about you as a person and 40 percent about the s-class or that suit.

And none of you will ever convince me that all things being equal, you're goin hop on that dude riding the bus before an equally handsome, articulate cat in a luxury automobile. That's. Just. Bullshit.

Veronica Marché said...

I said Toyota, though. I ain't say nothing about a bus. *shudder*

:-)

I got what you're saying, but the flip side is that there are women who make sure to look beyond all the things that a man accumulates to accessorize his ego. We aren't even thinking about the car. I think that's the viewpoint some of us are coming from.

Not Your Average Chimichanga said...

the realest shit you ever wrote...

i'm feeling PG on this one all the way.

naw, i hear my ladies talking that good stuff, but let's keep it REAL...a tight whip makes an average dude cute, or possibly fine.

don't lie, ladies, every woman up on here has tried to f**k an escalade at some point, LOL.

but keeping the real talk going...

dudes with tight accessories tend to have the wackest rap. that's 'cause they are so used to the accessories working for them -- the car, the clothes, the bling, whatever.

they don't know shit about current events, arts and entertainment or politics because...well, shit the benz-o is all they need.

a rare few has tight whip and tight convo.

Princess Imperial said...

It's the broke ones that's always hollerin' about how triflin' some female is. Hey dude ... go git ya'self ... or even RENT ya'self a Maybach for a week. Live like a king and see what it truly feels like to be pimped for ya ride ... receive the perks of being a playa (if only for a brief moment in your life). When you are rollin' around again in your Hyundai, you'll be able to reminisce on all of the free "stuff" you got from your presumed status.

Hey ... this is a capitalistic society ...it's all about the ends .. right? She gotta git hers ... u gotta git yours ...

Keith T. Reed said...

I'm not sure who this "princess imperial" character is, but she must be wearing makeup at work today because clearly she's a clown.

Hey, 'princess' (as if)..., lemme holla at you about a few things. Funny you should mention a Maybach. Unlike half the rappers in the United States who talk about them, I've been inside a few. Driven them. Held onto a couple for a while. Not rented, thank you very much. All business. I got paid for being there, adding to the total that keeps me from being one of the broke cats you're talking about (what she know about that?). And yes, there were women who wanted to fcuk it, but I ain't trippin off that. I could prolly take you home if I was kicn and pushin like Lupe Fiasco. That's. My. Word.

Princess Imperial said...

Key words ... "held onto" ... a real "Pimp" would not have had to give it back ... coulda got and kept gittin' his fcuk on ... means we wouldn't be reading this hatin' azz blog right now ...and honestly ... Lupe? ... nah ... come holla at me when you got summa that Bill Gates change ... maybe I'll take you back to the castle ...let YOU take a peek at the rubies.

Real talk.

Keith T. Reed said...

ok, waitaminute? you drive a whatnow? and live wherenow? this "castle" of yours wouldn't be a halfassed apartment, would it? far as "peeking" at some rubies? nah. you can keep that. I don't deal in damaged, tarnished, flawed, small stones.

P.S. -- re: a "hatin ass blog?" Wrong again. See, it was peace up in here til you showed. Men and women all getting along. A true princess knows how to keep the peace. Where'd you get your crown from?

Princess Imperial said...

Hey ... it's your blog ... I let you have the final word ... just don't ask for a comment if you don't wanna hear what I've gotta say ... Presumed Pimp ...

...see how easy it was to make you lose your focus ...

...but I ain't trippin' on you ...I'd rather fcuk withcha mind ...

Unknown said...

come on people, let's be real about this one.

i feel what some are saying, and it may be true that there are a certain percentage of people (women) who do not care about the materials.

but, as an openly gay man, i know more than enuff females who will get all goo goo ga ga over anig ina fly whip; and they do not mind admitting it. it is true, it is reality and we all need to be real with ourselves.

good points mentor!

and these mind games that folks try to play is played out. be real!