Friday, August 04, 2006

A Pause for the cause...

Ok, so when I'm not on here pontificating about manhood and its relationship to womanhood, I'm a business reporter in my day job and freelancer by night. One of the reasons I got into that business was because I thought use of the media was one of the best ways to disseminate info. to and about black folks -- good, bad and otherwise.

As I was building my career, I met a guy by the name of Nate Chapman, who was the first black man to run an investment banking company and grow it into a publicly-traded firm. (He'd later be convicted of fraud and is now doing time in prison). Transgressions aside, though, during an all-day mentoring session in his office the year I got out of college, Nate told me something that I've remembered to this day and that I think will resonate loud and clear for years: "The civil rights struggle of the 21st century is economic. He was right on so many levels -- with all of the legal and social progress made by black people over the last four decades, we still lag in areas like homeownership, personal and family wealth, business ownership and the political clout that comes along with all those things.

So to that end, I've created another blog that I hope you'll check out, called Blackpeoplesmoney. I hope it becomes a forum for the black and upwardly mobile that our generation represents to talk about our climb on a personal and community level to achieve economic parity. Check it out often, post, send me ideas and tell your friends about it.

Manlaw: you're not a man if you can't feed and clothe your peoples.

No comments: