Friday, August 04, 2006

...and back to our regularly scheduled program

I walk into the office of a female friend the other day and she's on the phone. When I appear, she tells whoever to hold on and informs me she's talking to her ex (why this info. was important, I don't know but I guess she felt I needed it). So I offered to leave so she can handle her b.i., to which she responds "Oh, are you jealous?"

No.

I'm not a jealous cat, and she's not my girl. But upon hearing me say that I wasn't jealous, she gets vexed and tells me to leave her office. Why? Because, gentlemen, women have egos. Big ones that rival if not surpass our own. Thus telling a woman after an obvious pine for a compliment or affection that you're indifferent is akin to invoking her wrath.

This, however, can work to your advantage: knowing the right balance of indulging and depriving a woman's ego is a powerful tool. Just don't overdo it; unlike women, we're pretty transparent when we try to be manipulative, and if they see through you, you'll suffer.

Manlaw: You're not the only one with an ego that needs stroking.

Bonus manlaw note: I walked into a bookstore recently and came across a book I thought I'd hate, because I'd heard said book was pretty bad. I read a few pages for myself and got intrigued, and wouldn't you know I'm all into it now. The lesson here is never judge a book by what other people tell you about its cover...

8 comments:

Veronica Marché said...

"This, however, can work to your advantage: knowing the right balance of indulging and depriving a woman's ego is a powerful tool."

Yikes! The secret's out.

But it works the same way with men too.

And sometimes, when correctly executed, it can be mildly entertaining.

:-)

hizzle said...

what's the damn book?! i'm in need of an airplane read.

Ming Houser, Realtor said...

That's a very good lesson...judging the book. You'll miss out like that. Besides, the cover of the book sometimes has nothing to do with the story. It's usually just a ploy to either draw you in or push you away. The good stuff is on the pages.

Chris said...

This entry certainly hits close to home for me. Female acquaintances are always telling me about their conquests and failures, and I definitely would act ignorant towards them, exposing my jealousy for the world to see. Now a simple "that's nice" and changing the topic of conversation shocks them beyond reasoning. It's a wonderful thing.

Jameil said...

how abt i think the most important statement here is "if they see through you, you'll suffer" y'all are not good at hiding stuff. at all.

Gooders Girl said...

Man Law is a forum for men who lost their way, got a little battered and bruised.. they are not seeking redemption, perhaps a little revenge and guidance.

It also appears to be a froum where some females rub their wounds....ahhhh

Just for the record, if all these Man Law tip, HEAD FCUKS worked they would be engaged in healthy, loving, relationships....Just a wild guess.

All the same, I enjoy the insight and cheerleading. GO BROTHERS-MAN-LAW!!!!

Not Your Average Chimichanga said...

why is it every time i read this blog i feel like i need to send a secret emergency signal to my sistahs out there?

get out of my head!!! :)

any ego can be a dangerous thing, especially with women. i'd agree our egos may be worse than men -- as in larger. it's just that men's require more stroking and more delicate handling.

but most women, on a given day, are told they are fine between 10-15 times. it may be in overt ways, or little ones -- like when an unknown guy will hold the door open for you for several minutes, even if you take your time. i tell you, it's amazing where a friendly smile will get you.

women are addicted to power. attracted to those who have it. and we get high off having it ourselves. every woman has that one guy in our lives that's madly in love with us, whose love we'll never return. in our quiet, secretive moments, we'll admit to ourselves how much we enjoy the fact that some sap is out there pining away for us. even better: torturing the regretful ex who'd slay a dragon to win our favor (again).

this is why i could never be a lesbian. no way would my ego and hers fit in the same room :)

Ming Houser, Realtor said...

J...that was a good post....and the truth! You hit the nail on the head.