Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Buy you a drink?

When did it become proper for a woman to ask a guy she doesn't know to buy her a drink?

Or worst...when did it become proper for a woman to demand a guy she doesn't know to buy her a drink?

Or even worst than both of those...when did it become proper for a woman you don't know to ask or demand you buy her and her girlfriend(s) drinks?

Are we to blame T-Pain for this because of his popular (but when you read the lyrics word for word...extremely silly) song "Buy You A Drink?

Or have women in general lost their damn minds?

I don't know where to point the blame. But there is one thing I know for certain. This epidemic isn't cute and it is something that needs to stop. If you as a woman are that darn thirsty, BUY YOURSELF A DRINK.

I was having this discussion with a male friend about our recent vacations and it happened to him while he was on vacation.

To paraphrase his response.

He said if he just met a woman at a club/bar/lounge or entertainment establishment and he's only been talking to a woman for five minutes, she shouldn't ask him to buy her a drink because he's going to say hell no. It doesn't matter how hot a woman looks. If he wants to buy her a drink, he'll offer and pay. No need to ask and damn sure no need to demand.

And if a woman is bold enough to ask/demand, his response is "I was just about to ask you (as a woman) to buy me a drink." That as he tells me, always ends the conversation for good. lol. I need to borrow that at some point in the future.

I couldn't agree with his policy more. But I have a variation to it.

Now, I'm a fairly generous person when it comes to being social. My number one reason for being in a club/bar/lounge or entertainment venue is to dance. I'm not a drinker. I don't profile. I'm there to break out a sweat on the dance floor. If a woman that I don't know dances with me for a while and I'm enjoying her company, it is my good nature to offer to buy her a drink.

Generally speaking, you have to engage me in something meaningful (a dance or a great conversation on something not superficial) to get a drink out of me, if I don't know you. Which begs me to ask another question, when did women lose the art of socializing? Just looking cute and sitting/standing around ISN'T enough and whoever told you it was should be forced to listen to Ashanti sing live for 24 hours straight.

So, ladies spread the word and make sure your girlfriends "don't ask and darn sure don't tell" any man to buy her a drink. Because more than likely if you do that, you'll probably end up with a dude that thinks he owns you after one drink.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WTF!!!...And you wonder why women DON'T holla at you!! DAMN IT MAN!!!

C'MON? REALLY?

Let me put you on to something real, homeboy...

First and formost, you NEVER target women for any and all reasons!! You just ruined ALL chances of dating...

Second...It's part of socializing. If you want to communicate with an attractive woman, you offer her a drink of her choice as an "ice-breaker". What develops after that is based on how well you hold a conversation. If you can't keep it real, Millenium Woman see through a N*gga's BS like an open window!.

Real Rap! If you flashing dollars like that, of course she gonna ask you to buy drinks for her gurls too. You bum'd it right there. SMFH!

In all honesty...You my Homeboy for LIFE, mayne! I always have you back, but seriously, you can't put stuff like this on a blog. Women you know, who know more women you don't know, get hip to things like this and word gets out FAST...like LIGHTSPEED fast.

Take it from me...All you have to do is be casual, relax, and listen. A woman wants a man to open his ears and listen to what she has to say. You don't have to agree with anything, but you HAVE to be willing to listen. Same way if you have something you need to say, you want someone to listen to you. Guys now-a-days force it soooo damn bad that the real good men (me) catch heat for something we had nothing to do with. That's just how the "game" goes.

Identify how and what you are, and just be that...that's it. No gimmicks, no cassanova lines. Just be YOU!

Ladies and Gents! Hit me up on Facebook and request me as a friend if y'all need advice on relationships and questions on the topic.

Henri Felix aka G7...

spchrist said...

@djFX...I don't need women to holla at me nor do I write or say things to be popular. As I stated, the only reason I'm at an entertainment establishment is to DANCE. Everything else is a distance second or some cases third. The BET mentality as you described in your response is what is ruining dating. The general point I was making a woman doesn't need to ask or even demand a dude buy you a drink, if he wants you to have a drink on him, he'll offer. By asking, it makes you look pressed and I'm sure you'll get shot down anyways. And if you don't get shot down, the chances that he thinks he owns you after one drink is very high.

Anonymous said...

I do not buy drinks for women at the bar. I feel like I should not have to buy their time.

spchrist said...

@Epsilonicus...I can rock with that reason.....