Saturday, September 30, 2006

"a change gon' come"

I once heard a pimp say "You can't have just one, cuz having one is so close to having none !" I used to really run with that line, I had to be about 23/24. I was really feeling myself. I had what is commonly referred to as a "stable". I was dating 4-5 women regularly. And that don't count the late nights, the one nighters, etc. . .On top of that, I moved with a pack of wolves. We would move in a minimum of 3 maximum of 6. All of us had a slightly different style different look, different demeanor.We appealed to a wide demographic. Lol. But when we were together the hunt was on. We would be in the club, cookout, carnival, bar, what have you. Silent signals, with a look you could call for assistance to distract the hater, come scoop the drunk chic, or the biggest of them all; takingone for the team. You know the group of ladies on the dance floor dancing in a circle that all men are scared of. We could break the circle with ease. By one, barging right in and matching up one to one. Sometimes we create our own closed circle enticing them to enter. We had legendary nights filled with conquests, subplots, and twists that hollywood would love. At this point we been cliquing for 7/8 years. Me, I started at 17. I was working spending money each week pretending I was balling. Bad Boy was in charge from 1am-2am. I would blow most of my check trying to buy a new outfit, droppin cash at the bar, renting cars. And I was going out 2, 3, 4 time a week. Don't let it be a long weekend that we would dub "keep it movin weekend". We was frontin' and stuntin' hard !

Fast forward to current day. These days most of the wolves with the exception of me have wives, children, have been born again, and drive minivans instead of sedans and coupes. The life I used to live, the thoughts I used to have, still affect me. Because what you don't see in the above paragraph, is alcohol abuse. What you don't see is me losing the most special woman in my life. (family not included) What you don't see is the heartache I put her through. And how I repeated the behavior with other women that were close to me. I consistently employed the "never quit 'em" tactic. And meanwhile, I thought I was the man. The day I woke up and realized that I was not a man, because I was living a lie. I pledged that morning not to lie to a woman again. But life goes on. And lessons are learned. So these days, I try hard not to hurt a woman. Karma is a muthafucka. And I done spent a lot of lonely nights in the last 3 years. The women who were special to me, some proposing to me, some helplessly in love, have all sadly but thankfully for their own good, moved on. So where does that leave me. Yearning for love. Learning how to again. Learning how to use charm yet be sincere. How to be mysterious, but still be clear. I'm learning how to be me again.

Here lies my dilemna. The game has changed. The names have changed. And I still have residue from my old ways. So, I operate on only two premises when "dating". The first which I prefer is balls to the wall. All or nothing. I did this a lil less than a year ago, I got a girlfriend, it lasted a month and a week. I mean I don't enjoy the fronting, the posturing, the games, and my ego is way to big to be second string so lets committ to getting to know each other exclusively with the guards down, and if you get to know me and ain't feeling me cool. Unless, I'm functioning on my second mode of operation which is best summed up "we just fucking". Now, I much rather have meaningful short (if need be) relationships and learn and practice loving than just fucking cuz i done spent a decade just fucking.
But I find most women are scared to go all out from jump street. And I can respect that. But it leaves me with plan b or confused about what the hell i'm doing.

So where do I go from here ? Forward !

manlaw: A real man is capable of loving one woman with all his being !

ps. all theories and principals expressed are the sole property of conscious1 and are subject to change without notice. . .

13 comments:

tia said...

Very enlightening post. I've never been a dater, never been picked up at a nightclub or even had a one-nighter, for that matter, so I can't relate to those things at all. And now that I'm divorced, I'm far more a loner than a "dater," and I don't quite know (or care) how the 'dating scene' works these days either. But I would have to say that a brother trying to go all out with me from jump would rapidly get nowhere. I wouldn't "run," but he'd get a nice view of my long-legged stride ... from the back.

Mahogany Misfit said...

Your post has a great message. I love when men keep it real and LEARN from their mistakes instead of repeating the same shit over and over.

BeautifulZaria said...

i don't know what is more surprising. The fact that you were so open about your past or you realize where you went wrong. Most people never get to that point and travel in the same circle their whole lives. But there must have been a reason you chose this journey in the first place. Something in your psyche found safety in your drones of women. Most of my male friends tell me that men like variety, which is why they have more than one woman. That thought alone is crazy, but that's men. At least you're open and honest with women, now. That way, they proceed with both eyes open. Sad to say, women are not always quite as blunt. We look at men as a challenge to change instead of accepting the package presented to us.

I do have a question. When is the ManLaw book coming out? I'm really learning a lot from these tidbits of wisdom.

Dreamlover said...

Wow, I never anything about how guys really thought before!

Great Blog! ;0)

BZ said...

AMEN! I read something once, akin to "Any man can love a thousand women; but, a real man will love one woman a thousand ways." Glad to see you're learning, grasshopper! Great introspection and analysis of your own mistakes and effort to improve. Exclusive focus is always the best. Unfortunately, until I find a man without so much baggage that he can actually handle that, my batting line-up is in full rotation.

NegroPino™ said...

I love that quote BZ!!!!!!

Shug said...

Wow...I love how open and honest this post was.

Shug said...

Wow...I love how open and honest this post was.

POPS said...

the bearded, grown-ass man in you talking, huh? word.

Shug said...

Wow...I love how open and honest this post was.

Keith T. Reed said...

Man, I gotta say, I've yet to be so impressed with my manlaw bretren than I have with this post. I mean, here the rest of us are straight saying how we feel -- and half the time getting vilified for it, and what's he do? Goes straight for the ol' Reformed Player Mea Culpa, Book of Pimpin', Chapter 10, verses 9-12. And I'll be damn if they ain't all up at the alter, laying down offerings. Mayne, you ain't goin have a dry day between now and December. I like the flow, bro.

Gooders Girl said...

A dissenting voice.

You have not redeemed yourself in my favor after your retarded post. You know the one I am talking about.

I don't care that you don't care Con.

This device is wasted on me.

However, it is refreshing when individuals myself included learn from mistakes and make changes to undesirbale life styles.

I am glad you stopped whoring and that you have become responsible for your dick and the hearts of the women you destroyed.

I feel you on the lonely nights......

I also hope you are HIV free.

You told a tale, okay a personal one, testifying that you are a changed man -- but my question is:

What would you change?

Amadeo said...

In terms of going all out I lead a similar existence to you for a while but, before I started that life I had hurt someone I didn't mean to. So I had a rule, I told them all the deal upfront. As good as a step as it seems it didn't make my life less hectic...it just eased my mind. I've told a woman that I wouldn't be her boyfriend before anything happened...once something happens though alot of them just ignored what I said, even when I kept reminding them. Sometimes I'd find a cool one that could deal and things would be good but, more often than not they eventually wouldn't be able to accept it. Despite my intentions and actions all I could ever do was make sure I had done what I felt was right after that...I couldn't worry about the rest.